Barcia Wins Third Consecutive Supercross Lites Class Race
ST. LOUIS (March 3, 2012) – Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto, of Poulsbo, Wash., won his fifth Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, race at Edward Jones Dome before a record-breaking 59,742 fans. GEICO Honda’s Justin Barcia, of Ochlocknee, Ga., won his third consecutive Eastern Regional Supercross Lites Class Main Event and extended his points lead to 18 points.
JGRMX/Toyota/Yamaha’s Davi Millsaps, of Murrieta, Calif., won the Nuclear Cowboyz® Holeshot Award with Villopoto and Muscle Milk Honda’s Justin Brayton, of Murrieta, Calif., in tow. JGRMX/Toyota/Yamaha’s James Stewart started near the back of the pack and crashed on the opening lap. Villopoto, who has never won in St. Louis, quickly moved into second place. On Lap 2, Villopoto gained the lead after passing Millsaps and began opening a sizeable lead.
Brayton passed Millsaps on Lap 8 for second place, and on the same lap Red Bull KTM’s Ryan Dungey, of Belle Plaine, Minn., passed Millsaps for third place. On Lap 13, Dungey took over second place, moving Brayton back to third. On his charge back from near last place, Stewart passed Millsaps for fifth place. Dungey made a late-race run at Villopoto but was unable to challenge for the lead.
“The track was tough tonight,” said Villopoto. “I tried to ride smart and consistent, paying attention to where (Ryan) Dungey was at. I was able to hold on for another win and my first-ever in St. Louis”
Dungey earned his seventh podium finish of the year with a second place. Brayton finished a season-best third place.
“It was tough to make passes out there,” said Dungey. “I am happy with second tonight even though I wasn’t able to get to the lead. This track is one of a kind, and I had a blast riding on it.”
Barcia made a statement when the gates dropped for the Eastern Regional Supercross Lites Class Main Event as he captured his second consecutive Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot Award. Behind him, Red Bull KTM’s Ken Roczen, of Murrieta, Calif., and GEICO Honda’s Justin Bogle, of Cushing, Okla., followed in second and third, respectively.
While Barcia extended his lead, Bogle stalked Roczen for several laps, and on the last lap while setting up his move, he suffered a crash. As a result, he lost third place to Rockstar Energy Racing Suzuki’s Blake Wharton, of Beaumont, Texas, and fourth place to Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Darryn Durham, of Butler, Pa., where they would finish. Bogle was forced to settle for fifth, and Roczen finished a season-best second place.
“It was great to get the holeshot and check out tonight,” said Barcia. “The dirt here in St. Louis is amazing. I am not changing anything as we head to the next race; if I keep doing this, I should win the championship.”
Tonight’s win for Barcia marked his third consecutive inside the Edward Jones Dome, and he now is the all-time winningest Supercross Lites Class rider in St. Louis.
Supercross Class Results: St. Louis
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM
- Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Honda
- Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha
- Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha
- Jake Weimer, Wildomar, Idaho, Kawasaki
- Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki
- Marvin Musquin, Murrieta, Calif., KTM
- Nicholas Wey, Murrieta, Calif., Kawasaki
Supercross Class Season Standings
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 205
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM – 192
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha – 152
- Chad Reed, Dade City, Fla., Honda – 128
- Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda – 123
- Jake Weimer, Wildomar, Idaho, Kawasaki – 120
- Justin Brayton, Murrieta, Calif., Honda – 116
- Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki – 113
- Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha – 109
- Mike Alessi, Hilliard, Fla., Suzuki – 98
Eastern Regional Supercross Lites Class Results: St. Louis
- Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda
- Ken Roczen, Murrieta, Calif., KTM
- Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Honda
- Darryn Durham, Butler, Pa, Kawasaki
- Justin Bogle, Cushing, Okla., Honda
- Jake Canada, Sun City, Fla., Honda
- Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., KTM
- Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Yamaha
- Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki
- Alex Martin, Millville, Minn., Honda
Eastern Regional Supercross Lites Class Season Standings
- Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda – 75
- Ken Roczen, Murrieta, Calif., KTM – 57
- Darryn Durham, Butler, Pa, Kawasaki – 56
- Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Honda – 56
- Justin Bogle, Cushing, Okla., Honda – 43
- Jake Canada, Sun City, Fla., Honda – 41
- Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki – 40
- Hunter Hewitt, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki – 31
- Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., KTM – 29
- Kyle Cunningham, Aledo, Texas, Yamaha – 28
Tune into the enhanced exclusive weekly video content from Supercross LIVE! during the entire 2012 season on SupercrossOnline.com, the Official Website of Monster Energy Supercross.
Weekly Supercross LIVE! Video Content Schedule
The Official Supercross LIVE! Pre-Show Race Days at 11 AM Local Race Time
Behind the Scenes with Supercross LIVE! All Day on Race Days
2 Minutes on the Track Race Days at 3:30 & 5:30 PM Local Race Time
And on the Podium Tonight Following Each Round’s Main Events
The Official Supercross LIVE! Post-Show Saturday Nights at Each Round
Toyota Tailgate Talk Wednesdays at 5 PM ET
After The Checkered Flag Thursdays at 5PM ET
For more information on the Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, please log on to www.SupercrossOnline.com, the official website of Monster Energy Supercross. For all media requests, please contact Denny Hartwig email@example.com or 630-566-6305. To follow Monster Energy Supercross on Facebook and Twitter, log on to http://www.facebook.com/supercrosslive and http://twitter.com/supercrosslive.
Feld Motor Sports®, Inc. is the world leader in specialized arena and stadium-based motor sports entertainment. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. productions include Advance Auto Parts Monster Jam®, Monster Energy Supercross, AMA Arenacross Series, Nuclear Cowboyz®, and IHRA® Nitro Jam®. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is a division of Feld Entertainment, the world’s largest producer of live family entertainment. For more information on Feld Entertainment, visit www.feldentertainment.com.