INDIANAPOLIS (March 12, 2011) – Tonight, 60,789 fans greeted the 10th race of the Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, in Indianapolis as Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto, of Poulsbo, Wash., won his fifth race of the season. In the Eastern Regional Supercross Lites class, DNA Shred Sticks/Yamaha’s Ryan Sipes, of Ekron, Ken., captured his first career victory.
As the gates dropped for the 20th Supercross Class race in Indianapolis, TwoTwo Motorsports/Bel-Ray Racing’s Chad Reed squeezed through the pack to capture the holeshot with Villopoto and Dodge Hart and Huntington’s Ivan Tedesco in tow.
Villopoto, unaware of the battles trailing him, led all 20 laps to register his fifth victory of the season. Meanwhile, behind Villopoto, Rockstar Makita Suzuki’s Ryan Dungey pressured second place’s Reed through 10 laps, but an unfortunate get-off by Dungey allowed Reed to hold his second place spot.
Far from safe, Reed was stalked closely by San Manuel Yamaha’s James Stewart and late on lap 11 Stewart made his move on Reed and took over the second place spot. As Stewart carefully held this second place spot, a battle for third between Reed and Dungey continued to the checkered flag; however, Dungey was not able to put the pass on Reed.
“The track was really tough tonight,” said Villopoto. “The ruts played a big factor throughout the 20 lap main. You really had to be smart out there. The whole team worked together really well tonight, and I couldn’t do it without them.”
“I had a rough weekend last week and wasn’t able to ride the way I wanted to,” said Stewart. “I let my team down today. It’s not over. I’m so motivated right now and I have a bunch of guys behind me.”
At the start of the fourth race of the Eastern Regional Supercross Lites class, Pro Circuit/Monster Energy/Kawasaki’s Blake Baggett was first to the line for the holeshot followed by DNA Shred Sticks/Yamaha’s Ryan Sipes. Early on lap seven, Baggett dismounted from the bike following the finish line jump and handed the lead to Sipes with GEICO Honda’s Justin Barcia in tow. Sipes went on to lead the remaining eight laps to register the first victory of his career followed by Barcia and Baggett, who finished second and third respectively.
“I can’t even describe the feeling right now,” exclaimed Sipes. “I didn’t think about winning until I crossed the checkered flag. Last time I thought about taking first place while leading, I went down and handed over the lead. Tonight, I stayed strong and didn’t think about it, and it definitely paid off.”
“I went six laps and got pressured and went down and pretty much threw the race away, said Baggett. “I threw away a good amount of points, but we’ll just make sure we pick it up down the road.”
Supercross Class Results: Indianapolis
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha
- Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Honda
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki
- Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C., Yamaha
- Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda
- Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda
- Nicholas Wey, Dewitt, Mich., Yamaha
- Cole Seely, Corona, Calif., Honda
- Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM
Supercross Class Season Standings
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki – 221
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Yamaha – 195
- Chad Reed, Tampa, Fla., Honda – 192
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki – 183
- Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda – 169
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM – 129
- Justin Brayton, Cornelius, N.C, Yamaha – 121
- Davi Millsaps, Carlsbad, Calif., Yamaha – 114
- Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Suzuki – 107
- Kevin Windham, Centreville, Miss., Honda – 103
Eastern Regional Supercross Lites Class Results: Indianapolis
- Ryan Sipes, Ekron, Ky., Yamaha
- Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda
- Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki
- Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki
- Matt Lemoine, Collinsville, Texas, Kawasaki
- Dean Wilson, Menifee, Calif., Kawasaki
- Blake Wharton, Aubrey, Texas, Honda
- P.J. Larsen, Murrieta, Calif., KTM
- Alex Martin, Millville, Minn., Honda
- Les Smith, York, S.C., Honda
Eastern Regional Supercross Lites Class Season Standings
- Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda – 91
- Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, Calif., Kawasaki – 85
- Ryan Sipes, Ekron, Ky., Yamaha – 79
- Dean Wilson, Menifee, Calif., Kawasaki – 75
- Blake Wharton, Aubrey, Texas, Honda – 65
- Malcolm Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki – 62
- Matt Lemoine, Collinsville, Texas, Kawasaki – 51
- P.J. Larsen, Murrieta, Calif., KTM – 46
- Jason Anderson, Edgewood, N.M., Suzuki – 44
- Alex Martin, Millville, Minn., Honda – 40
For more information on the Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, please log on to www.SupercrossOnline.com. For all media requests, please contact Denny Hartwig email@example.com or 630-566-6305. To follow Monster Energy Supercross on Facebook and Twitter, log on to http://www.facebook.com/supercrosslive and http://twitter.com/supercrosslive.
Feld Motor Sports®, Inc. is the world leader in specialized arena and stadium-based motor sports entertainment. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. productions include Advance Auto Parts Monster Jam®, Monster Energy Supercross, AMA Arenacross Series, Nuclear Cowboyz®, and IHRA® Nitro Jam®. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is a division of Feld Entertainment, the world’s largest producer of live family entertainment. For more information on Feld Entertainment, visit www.feldentertainment.com.