Villopoto Extends Monster Energy Supercross Points Lead with Win in Indianapolis
Musquin Wins Second Consecutive 250SX Class Main Event
INDIANAPOLIS (March 16, 2013) – Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto won his sixth 450SX Class Main Event of the season in front of 60,312 fans at tonight’s Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, at Lucas Oil Stadium. Red Bull KTM’s Marvin Musquin won his second consecutive Eastern Regional 250SX Class Main Event.
Rockstar Energy Racing’s Davi Millsaps won the Nuclear Cowboyz® Holeshot Award but was passed by Yoshimura Suzuki’s James Stewart. Villopoto moved into third place on the opening lap. Villopoto passed Millsaps on Lap 3 but Millsaps answered back and moved into second place. Three laps later Villopoto moved around Millsaps and held the position. On the same lap, Stewart stalled his bike and Villopoto took over the lead.
Red Bull KTM’s Ryan Dungey passed Millsaps for second place on Lap 7. On the final lap of the race, Millsaps crashed after the finish line jump and gave the number-three position to Stewart. Dungey held on for second and Stewart finished third.
Villopoto, who earned the 30th win of his career, became the first rider to win four races in Indianapolis and extended his points lead to nine.
“James [Stewart] was riding great tonight,” said Villopoto. “Lucas Oil Stadium has been great to me; it’s an amazing stadium and I love coming here. Ryan [Dungey] was able to make up some time on me here and there, but I just kept pushing hard until the end.”
Rockstar Energy Racing’s Blake Wharton won the Nuclear Cowboyz Holeshot Award and was quickly passed by AG Motorsports’ Kyle Peters to start the Eastern Regional 250SX Class Main Event. GEICO Honda’s Wil Hahn started near the back of the pack and began to play catch up immediately.
After five laps, AJ Catanzero held down the number-five position but was passed by Musquin on Lap 11. Hahn worked his way past Catanzero on Lap 13 for fourth place. On Lap 14 of 15, Wharton crashed, allowing Musquin to take over the lead and Hahn to move into third place. Peters finished a career-best second place and Hahn finished third.
Hahn has a nine-point lead over Musquin in season point standings.
“I gave it away here tonight,” said Hahn. “I have to go home and do my homework to get back on top of the box. I am happy that I was able to work my way back to third, but need to win races.”
“We have been talking about confidence, and tonight I had it,” said Musquin. “I fought really hard, and I believed in myself. Anything can happen out there, and tonight was kind of lucky but I got the win.”
Racing resumes next weekend at Toronto’s Rogers Centre.
450SX Class Results: Indianapolis
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki
- Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki
- Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda
- Chad Reed, Australia, Honda
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM
- Matt Goerke, Lake Helen, Fla., KTM
- Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda
- Weston Peick, Wildomar, Calif., Suzuki
450SX Class Season Standings
- Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki, 227
- Davi Millsaps, Murrieta, Calif., Suzuki, 218
- Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., KTM, 210
- Chad Reed, Australia, Honda, 178
- Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda, 168
- Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda, 165
- James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Suzuki, 155
- Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, KTM, 136
- Justin Brayton, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Yamaha, 112
- Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Suzuki, 109
Eastern Regional 250SX Class Results: Indianapolis
- Marvin Musquin, France, KTM
- Kyle Peters, Greensboro, N.C., Honda
- Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda
- AJ Catanzero, Portland, Conn., Kawasaki
- Justin Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Kawasaki
- Vince Friese, Cape Girardeau, Mo., Honda
- Mitchell Oldenburg, Alvord, Texas, Honda
- Gavin Faith, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Honda
- Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki
- Peter Larsen, Menifee, Calif., Honda
Eastern Regional 250SX Class Season Standings
- Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda, 112
- Marvin Musquin, France, KTM, 103
- Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Suzuki, 88
- Dean Wilson, Scotland, Kawasaki, 87
- Kyle Peters, Greensboro, NC, Honda, 67
- Justin Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Kawasaki, 67
- Vince Friese, Cape Girardeau, Mo., Honda, 65
- Jeremy Martin, Millville, Minn., Yamaha, 53
- Gavin Faith, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Honda, 53
- James Decotis, Peabody, Mass., Honda, 52
KTM Junior Supercross Challenge
- Jordan Biese, Appleton, Wis., KTM
- Liam Everts, Limberg Belgium, KTM
- Jacob Hull, Mentor, Ohio, KTM
- Connor Duvall, Union, Ken., KTM
- Branden Morgenstern, Whipple, Ohio, KTM
- Blaceton Moore, Glouster, Ohio, KTM
- Colson Crouch, Morton, Ill., KTM
- Talan Zollers, North Aurora, Ill., KTM
- Stephan Munnier, Victor, N.Y., KTM
- Griffin Kinney, Duluth, Minn., KTM
- Andrew Kali, Hubbard, Ohio, KTM
- Kasen Denault, Buckingham, Ill., KTM
- Ethan Delgrosso, Waterford, Conn., KTM
- Austin Mcafee, West Palm Beach, Fla., KTM
- Maylei Leaneagh, Fredrick, Colo., KTM
Supercross LIVE!® is back in 2013 with a three-hour mid-raceday program from 2:00 – 5:00 p.m. local time. Hosts, Jim Holley, a former World Supercross Champion, and Kevin Barnett, a former member of the U.S. Men’s Olympic Volleyball Team and professional broadcaster, will provide in-depth analysis of the afternoon’s practice and qualifying sessions as the riders and teams prepare for the night racing, in addition to interviews and behind-the-scenes coverage. As the only place to follow live practice and qualifying coverage from Monster Energy Supercross, Supercross LIVE! provides fans with an inside perspective before the gate drops on the night’s qualifying and Main Events. Additionally, there will be video snippets made available throughout the race day that can be viewed on www.SupercrossOnline.com, the official website of Monster Energy Supercross, or the YouTube Channel www.YouTube.com/SupercrossLive. To access the live streaming broadcasts, go to www.SupercrossOnline.com/SupercrossLive or subscribe to the Supercross LIVE! streaming channel at http://new.LiveStream.com/Supercrosslive.
For more information on the Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, please log on to www.SupercrossOnline.com, the official website of Monster Energy Supercross. To follow Monster Energy Supercross on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, log on to www.facebook.com/supercrossLive www.Twitter.com/supercrosslive and www.instagram.com/SupercrossLive.com. Subscribe to our YouTube Channel at www.youtube.com.SupercrossLive. For all media requests, please contact Denny Hartwig email@example.com or 630-566-6305.
About Feld Motor Sports®
Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is the world leader in specialized arena and stadium-based motor sports entertainment. Feld Motor Sports productions include Advance Auto Parts Monster Jam®, Monster Energy Supercross, AMSOIL Arenacross and Nuclear Cowboyz®. Feld Motor Sports is a division of Feld Entertainment, the world’s largest producer of live family entertainment. For more information on Feld Entertainment, visit www.feldentertainment.com.